The NOHKOlocke variant of the Nuzlocke challenge is played with the standard Nuzlocke rules, with one major addition: if a player’s Pokémon knocks out an opposing Pokémon from full health in a single hit, they must be boxed or released, similarly to if they had fainted (this is known as an “OHKO” or “One-Hit-Knock -Out”). This does not apply to the following scenarios:
- multi-hit moves, such as Bullet Seed
- weather or status damage
- partner damage in a double battle
- any other scenario where the Pokémon takes damage from a source other than the player’s Pokémon during the knock-out turn
Additional optional rules:
- The player may not use any items in battle, unless the opposing trainer uses an item first. The player may use as many items as the opposing trainer has in that battle (ie. if a Gym Leader has used two healing items, the player may use up to two items in that battle). This rule was used in the original NOHKOlocke run, but is optional.
- Types in the party cannot be repeated (similar to the Uniquelocke variant).
For a more comprehensive list of additional rules you can use to customize any Nuzlocke run, see our Optional Rules section. For even more unique ways to enjoy the Nuzlocke challenge, check out our Nuzlocke Variants page!